Half of small businesses invisible through mobile search
A nationwide survey by T-Mobile of microbusiness owners across a range of sectors has revealed the true extent of the ‘Hidden High-street’ in the UK. Despite a 400 per cent increase in mobile searches over the last two years, 46 per cent of companies are still invisible through mobile search. With the summer period being particularly busy for many small businesses, company owners are missing out on potential customers and therefore revenue by not taking simple, and often free, steps to be seen by potential customers searching on their mobile phones.
The research found that:
• As consumers, 42 per cent of microbusiness owners surveyed regularly use their mobile to search for local businesses on Google Maps but just 16 per cent of microbusinesses have registered their business on Google Places, which puts them clearly on the map for customers looking for local services
• 35 per cent of consumers use internet search engines on their mobiles to search for local businesses, (increasing to 45 per cent of consumers aged 16-34) but just 10 per cent of microbusinesses have ensured their name comes up in relevant online searches
• 60 per cent of consumers aged between 16 and 34 are ‘checking in’ to local businesses and making recommendations to their friends but just 14 per cent of businesses questioned have claimed their Facebook place
• Only 13 per cent of businesses have made their websites ‘mobile-friendly’ to ensure they’re easy to read and navigate for potential customers on the move
Businesses that have made sure they are easy to find for mobile users are reaping the benefits and stealing the march on their competitors. Of those who have increased visibility of their business through mobile search, 68 per cent have seen benefits over the past year – 44 per cent had more customer enquiries, almost a quarter (24 per cent) experienced increased footfall and 15 per cent directly attributed a growth in sales to being visible to customers on their mobiles.
Martin Stiven, VP Business at T-Mobile explains: “The summer months can be a really busy time for many small businesses in the UK and these companies need to be doing everything they can to reach new customers. We’re seeing a sharp rise in the usage of smartphones by small businesses but they’re not always thinking about how their customers are using their phones to find them. The extent of the hidden high-street is worrying and especially when you’re in direct competition with other similar businesses in your area there’s a huge advantage in making yourself visible through mobile search.”
- Majority of UK businesses doubtful of positive sales impact from events this summer
- Communities put high value in local businesses
- T-Mobile launches new overseas data pricing
- Mobile working not considered
- Half of SMEs ‘on the wrong mobile tariff’
Speak Your Mind
Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!